Important alert: (current site time 11/27/2014 7:45:19 PM EDT)

winzip icon

ExcelADO & ExcelOLE - Read/Write Excel files

Email
Submitted on: 7/2/2003 12:44:31 AM
By: Hunter Beanland  
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 5 Users
Compatibility: ASP (Active Server Pages)
Views: 21228
author picture
(About the author)

[updated 2004/05/05] Included are 2 easy to use methods of accessing Excel workbooks: OLE and ADO: ExcelADO is a VBScript class which allows you to open an Excel file via ADO. The class object includes several easy to use methods to read and write data into an excel file. For more advanced features, the class allows you to manipulate the Recordset directly. Excel or Excel ODBC drivers are required on the server. ExcelOLE is a VBScript class which allows you to open an Excel file via OLE Automation. The class object includes several easy to use methods to read and write data into an excel file. For more advanced features, the class allows you to manipulate the Excel Workbook directly. Excel is required on the server. Includes full doucmentation and examples.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 7 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

1/11/2004 6:45:57 PMTrond Larsen

This is almost just what I've been searching for. Thank you
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

2/17/2004 6:36:16 AM

I tried the program and it really work well. However, I hit a problem that the excel file may contain some double byte character - Chinese words and after using the function, I found those words become strange characters. Could you give me some advice on this? Thanks in advance for your kind help.

2/17/2004 6:32:55 PMHunter Beanland

I would say that you have not set the Locale or Codepage in the page that uses this class.
For example these are the settings for Traditional Chinese:
Session.CodePage = 950
Session.LCID = &H0404
I use this code with Simplied/ Tradional Chinese, Japanese and Korean without a problem.

4/28/2004 3:17:55 PMbaha0011@umn.edu

Hello,
Your code has been a great help. It works fine when reading in excel files. I try to open an excel file for writing and use the attribute forWriting when opening worksheet. The problem is if the excel file does not exist then it gives me error message saying it was unable to open the tab or worksheet. Have you used this source to actually write an excel file? Any pointers on how to write .xls file would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5/4/2004 8:51:35 PMHunter Beanland

Previously you had to open an existing spreadsheet for writing. I have just added a new method called NewSpreadsheet to create a new workbook. See readme/demo for more about this.

9/6/2005 5:19:18 AMFerry

This is greattttt code..
It really help, you do a great man. So GOD will pay YOU with happiness in your life

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.