Submitted on: 6/4/2020 9:53:56 AM
By: A_X_O 
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 1 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 2414

Chaperone Screen Recorder Version 1.0.3 Update #3

Essential Third Party Software: FFmpeg & DirectShow Components

Chaperone Screen Recorder is an FFmpeg Screen Recorder with Audio from DirectShow.
You can select any region of the Desktop Screen to record at a Frame Rate of Between 0 - 60/fps
The Audio can be Recorded from the Internal Mic or the Sound Card

This version has Default Settings to enable a One-Click Start.
The recorded video (with audio) is stored temporarily and you name and save it at the end of the recording process

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 31 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Beginner category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

5/16/2020 3:07:20 PMDave Carter

Hi A_X_O

I'm struggling to get any video output.
I'm on a Win7 so wondered if permissions were an issue and went ahead and created an install of your project with ffmpeg.exe included but still no video.
I can type ffmpeg in the command window and get the version and copyright info so the system has registered it.

I think your work is amazing but I just can't get your ffmpeg projects to work.

Any ideas?

Happy coding :)
Dave
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

5/16/2020 5:18:32 PMA_X_O

Hello Dave

I will update the project and create a step-by-step guide
with some helpfull screen shots along the way and that will "hopefully"
resolve the problems you mentioned.

I am guessing that other people are experiencing the same problems
so I'll get this done ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback Dave.

5/20/2020 12:15:57 PMDave Carter

Hi A_X_O

Thanks for the Help docs, I'm now getting Video saved :)
Previously I didn't have DirectShow installed and my Compatibility Settings for Screen_Recorder.exe were out.
DirectShow says to install DirectX 8 so I did that as well.

I'm not getting anything listed in the Audio Devices drop-down.

Here's what I think is the target output the program is trying to process (from a Debug.Print of arg CommandOutputs in objDOS_ReceiveOutputs) to discover the microphone:
[dshow @ 00000000008d9380] DirectShow audio devices
[dshow @ 00000000008d9380] "Microphone (Realtek High Defini"
[dshow @ 00000000008d9380] Alternative name "@device_cm_{33D9A762-90C8-11D0-BD43-00A0C911CE86}\Microphone (Realtek High Defini"

Can you see what code changes I'd need to make to get Audio working as well? The second line above truncates the word 'Definition' and there is no closing parenthesis.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

5/20/2020 9:25:49 PMA_X_O

Ok Dave

The Debug.Print output looks like there's a problem somewhere.

Can you confirm that you have installed the "64bit" DirectShow UScreenCapture filters
as the 32bit filters apparently do not work, whereas the 64bit ones work on
both 32bit and 64bit machines. The reference for that information is:
https://www.trishtech.com/2018/02/record-windows-desktop-screen-with-sound-using- ffmpeg/

If
the audio devices (Stereo Mix / Internal Mic) are hidden in system settings. They wont be visible to DirectShow or FFmpeg.
Open your Volume Mixer Settings. Select the Recording Tab, I have three Icons visible, 2 Mics and a Circuit Board that
represents the Sound Card - Stereo Mix.

5/20/2020 9:26:17 PMA_X_O

If you cant see the Circuit Board Icon or your Win7 Equiv Icon for Sound Card,
Right Click in the Tab area holding the icons to open the context menu,
one of the Options is "Show Disabled Devices" Choose that.
If the Sound Card Icon appears, Right Click it, Then Select Enable. Apply and Exit.

Navigate to your FFmpeg Directory from the Admin Prompt and Run: ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i nul

I'll keep an eye on this post.

5/26/2020 8:21:55 AMDave Carter

Hi A_X_O,

Seeing as ffmpeg listed my microphone as "Microphone (Realtek High Defini" I altered the code that retrieves device info to look for this and use it if found. Now I have audio too, fabulous! :)

I guess, with regard to parsing the ffmpeg device output stream, we could add an Instr for "Microphone" and capture everything upto the next "[" or "[dshow" with a Trim$:
... "Microphone (Realtek High Defini" [dshow @ 00000000009d9500] Alternative name ...

Thanks again for this great little app. - it works very nicely and looks good too.

Happy coding :)
Dave

5/26/2020 11:28:54 AMA_X_O

I appreciate the feedback and the time you spent
on the project Dave.

In the new updates, I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

A_X_O

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.