A Win32 API text file Viewer

Email
Submitted on: 3/9/2019 5:06:51 PM
By: Dave Carter 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 2 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 1736

A stand-alone Win 32 API Viewer that reports missing dependencies and forward reference issues found in the declarations intended for copying. There is a Library filter for easy access to Declares, a Rolodex to filter items by first character and a text filter for more advanced filtering e.g. declarations that include a word at the start, in the middle or at the end of their name. Also there are two extra functions 'Who uses it' and 'Who does it use' just to make sure we have all the facts available to us. Data collected may also be saved to file.
The GUI works mainly by double-clicking and right-clicking items in the List Boxes; double-clicking generally adds an item for copying and right-clicking generaly pops up a menu for accessing other functions. When trying to access a popup menu from a List Box it is important to first make sure the List Box is the Active Control so click inside it first and select an item before right-clicking.
NOTE: The data file/s may not always be complete, there may be references to items that are not actually declared, these will be reported as and when they are discovered to be missing. Also, I stop loading ListBoxes at 32,767 items due to this control being realistically limited to this amount; sure, I could have added a better control but I preferred to keep project dependencies to a bare minimum.
I have included a zip of Win32 API files collected by Mr 305 @ PSC (Win32APIFiles.zip).
Help file included (work in progress). If you can not access Help inside the program then unzip W32APHelp.zip and find and run the file 'Win32API.txt File Viewer.html'. Disclaimer:
Use of program/project/code at own discretion.
Please report any problems, thank you.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 3 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

4/22/2019 5:37:13 AMEvariste Galois

I don't know how to get this to you (and only you), but as you said you got a collection (of Wn32 API) from someone else, I have a way for you to find out.

It'll cost you under $10 for something tangible (5 lbs), and mind you, I get *nothing* out of this - I'm just pointing you in the right direction. This is not an email address which will spam you - I use it as a drop box to avoid others from using it as a spam target: WillyMakeit29@gmail.com. You, or anyone else, may complain, but I promise you it's up to you. I'm focusing upon you because of the time, effort, and mental sweat you've expended to put this wonderful entry to PSC together. If someone else complains about this and it results in this message being deleted, then I won't be able to help you.

I know this sounds hokey, but trust me on this one. I'm pretty certain I've been on the Internet (30 years) than just about anyone else here - so I have a great deal of respect for privacy and misuse of information.
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

4/23/2019 3:31:59 PMEvariste Galois

My wife suggested I just post the information here.... Are you familiar with the book, "Win32 API Desktop Reference"? It's by McCord/1993, just shy of 1500 pages and a 5 lb book with a bodacious reference section and if you can find a copy with a CD, the entire reference section is in Microsoft Write (.WRI) files (easy to strip apart) with each letter of the alphabet in separate files. Now: how do you find this book? As I said, you can get it for < $10.

This is a safe link:

https://tinyurl.com/y36lqm5u

It will take you to BookFInder.com and show you the list of available copies of this book. Most have $0 shipping, so the price you see is usually their price. If you hover over the price, it'll show you the breakdown.

4/27/2019 11:36:05 AMDave Carter

Hi Evariste
Thank you for your helpfulness and vote, both are very much appreciated :)

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.