Free Offline English Dictionary made with VB6

Email
Submitted on: 7/28/2015 7:33:56 PM
By: Dave Carter 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 1 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 8290

An offline English Dictionary to help with homework, writing and stuff. Screen-shot says what it does and how to use it. The main thing for me is I can double-click a word in a multi-line text box and get a pop-up definition for it.
Huge thanks to Rde, I'm using his Spell Checker which just plugged straight in (although it requires a project reference to MemAPIs.tlb, included).
Thanks also to Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.net) for the data, I'm using PG's free eBook called Webster's Unabridged English Dictionary. It was last updated in 2014 but there's no guarantee the word one wants exists among in 90,000+ word definitions.
p.s. the windows are meant to be moveable but one may have to click around a bit to get a grab point.
Be warned, the zip file is a whopping 10Mb but this is mostly the eBook and the Spelling data.
The eBook comes in at 28Mb of plain text with >900,000 lines and >4,000,000 actual words
Anyway, I thought long and hard before uploading this because it has a bug in the Search form and searching for the letter 'e' with >2,000,000 entries is a no go, however, bugs aside, the program can be very useful.
Happy Coding
Dave :)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 4 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

7/29/2015 8:06:49 AMdaveCarter

p.s.
Compile for best performance.
Rde = Rohan Edwards in Australia, in my opinion, coder extraordinaire!
Get in touch to send me other dictionaries e.g. French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin ....
I can't do Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Farsi, Hindi, Sanskrit ....
Let me know how to improve this program :)

(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

8/2/2015 9:03:13 PMBen

Looks nise very usfull program. 5 from me
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.