Important alert: (current site time 10/23/2014 1:33:40 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Disk Data Wipe 20-May-2014

Email
Submitted on: 5/20/2014 10:48:13 AM
By: Kenaso 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 10 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 19235
author picture
(About the author)

Remove files and folders completely using one of twelve different options. You can also define your own. This is well documented. Works with Windows 8.1 and drives that exceed a terabyte. === 26-Feb-2014 Found a work-around for any compatibility issues if running Windows 7 or 8. See Readme.pdf for details. Updated clsManifest file. === 20-May-2014 Speeded up process. Request for display update fixed.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 31 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

10/5/2010 5:42:35 PMAAM

support unicode folder/file name ?
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

10/7/2010 3:26:17 AMBlack_Berry

Unfortunately, any DLL and OCX files are deleted during the process of uploading. Please upload the missing DLL to some other server, on this site any DLL's and OCX's are deleted by the upload limits.

10/8/2010 7:28:27 AMKenaso

AAM, It still does not. :-)

10/8/2010 7:47:09 AMKenaso

Black Berry, Inside my source code is a folder named DLL which contains the DLL source code.

Open kiWipe.vbp with VB. In the project window (usually on the right side), highlight kiWipe(kiWipe.vbp), right click and select Properties. Select Component tab->No project compatibility option. Click OK.

Now select File->Make kiWipe.dll. Navigate to your destination folder and click OK. This is the first step of compiling any NEW DLL.

Open DDWipe_Group.vbg. In the project window (usually on the right side), highlight kiWipe(kiWipe.vbp), right click and select Properties. Select Component tab->Project compatibility option. Navigate to the destination folder and click on the previously compiled DLL. Click OK.

Now select File->Make Project Group. Navigate to your destination folder and click OK.

You should now have a complete application and associated DLL.

11/5/2010 12:21:27 PMBlack_Berry

Thanks a lot for your source code. It's very good. Can you please add a function to wipe whole hard drive using your methods of wiping?

11/7/2010 10:04:29 AMKenaso

Black Berry, To wipe a complete drive you need to be a DOS level only. VB does not function at that level. However, if you visit Darik's Boot and Nuke at http://www.dban.org/ I am quite sure you will find what you are looking for here. Dban is free for personal use.

8/12/2011 4:20:39 AMRuturaaj

I think you can wipe your HDD except the partition where your windows OS and of course this application is installed. I tried it in another way... I downloaded USB version of minimum Windows XP and could run this application from USB since the required VB runtime was already part of my USB Windows. I didn't wish to wipe entire HDD but I could wipe the Windows and System32 folders by USB booting. This tool is really good, but it's slow at times. A few speed tweaks are possible and I wish to look into it; but I'm afraid if I will be able to do it until this month end.

8/13/2011 11:20:03 AMKenaso

Ruturaal, Keep me informed of your progress. Sounds like a neat project.

1/21/2012 7:17:09 PMNito

Ken, you r a true coder. I love how you inluded the src for your component as well, instead of just precompiling it for us. Not just this prj, but all the ones ive seen from you, are very well documented like you said, and like i said, you are a true coder. Keep up the good work. YES! people still love, and use vs6. ;]

2/25/2012 9:45:20 AM

How do we know that the data are going to be writen over the original ones? All that we do here is to rewrite the data. When we rewrite a file, Windows may choose to write the file in a new location, to reduce fragmentation. This would leave the old copy on the disk. In addition, if compression is enabled on the target directory, our new data may compress much better then the existing data, leaving the tail on the end of the file accessable.

2/27/2012 6:15:46 PMKenaso

When data is overwritten by this application, it is written directly to the file in question. Only when the file is closed, does Windows make a determination as to relocate. If it does, the path\file name entries are updated with new addresses. If you are displaying the finish message, you will see that it stresses that you perform a defrag followed by a reboot to update your pointers. For the more paranoid, like me, I wipe the free space each day prior to leaving my workstation. This overwrites any data trail left behind.

Hopefully, I have not confused you as much as I have myself. :-)

3/1/2012 10:06:23 AMdoctor

Let me leave the defrag aside. The key to overwrite the data is "WriteFile" API? Can we rely on it generally and especially on SSD drives? Something tells me that we cannot.

3/29/2012 2:32:47 AMLeonardo

cPrng is not declared, but is referenced:

Private mobjRandom As cPrng
' Generate random data

3/29/2012 12:57:42 PMKenaso

Leonardo,
I have checked my code and the only thing I can think of is to download again. It sounds like kiWipe.vbp has been corrupted. Is clsRandom.cls in the DLL folder? If so, highlight kiWipe(kiWipe.vbp). Now press CTRL+D to add a file to the project. Select clsRandom.cls within the DLL folder and click Open button. Everything should be fine.

If you are still having problems, let me know and I will reupload to PSC.

4/3/2012 1:12:29 AM

when i run your project then vb give me flowing message:

Compile error
cannot find project or library

at this "Private WithEvents mobjWipe As kiWipe.cWipe" line.

kiwipe.dll missing

4/3/2012 1:18:59 AMzia

Hi! I am using vb6 . when i run your disk data wipe program cannot compile this line "Private WithEvents mobjWipe As kiWipe.cWipe" ..

project or library not found

how can i overcome this problem?

4/5/2012 8:46:00 AMKenaso

Zia,
1. Open VB IDE and select DDwipe_Group.vbg.
2. You will notice in the project window on the right that two projects are opened. One is highlighted darker than the other. That should be DiskDataWipe(DiskDataWipe.vbp). This is the primary program.
3. The other is kiWipe(kiWipe.vbp). This is the DLL.
4. Before you compile, Do the following:
a. Highlight DiskDataWipe in the project window
b. On the main menu, select Project>>References
c. kiWipe should be highlighted. If it says it is missing then uncheck that box and highlight the kiWipe that points to kiWipe.vbp
d. Select OK. Then select File>>Save 5. Now select File>>Make Project Group..

This should compile correctly.

7/19/2012 3:57:09 PMAAM

the bad thing until now not support unicode file name

1/2/2014 9:04:29 AMJC

It may interest you that I invented another method for clearing data which is up to and exceeds DoD standards. The format uses the bits of the write characters in order to generate "waves" on magnetic platters using negative bits surrounded by positive bits in a pattern. So it looks like: 01000000000100000000010000000001 with any number of 0s between. This makes it impossible to get data back by magnetic analysis. You are free to use it, it is called Costa Method.

1/5/2014 3:23:23 AMAAM

Does it support unicode file name ?

1/24/2014 7:08:02 AMtabuupig

cccccccccccccool

1/30/2014 12:00:25 PMduk

compile error:
Can't find project or library

String$

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.