VGA Game Programming Tutorial

Email
Submitted on: 1/1/2015 7:51:00 AM
By: Denthor of ASPHYXIA (from psc cd)  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 3 Users
Compatibility: C, C++ (general)
Views: 1809

Hi there! This is Denthor of ASPHYXIA, aka Grant Smith. This training program is aimed at all those budding young demo coders out there. I am assuming that the reader is fairly young, has a bit of basic Std. 6 math under his belt, has done a bit of programming before, probably in BASIC, and wants to learn how to write a demo all of his/her own.

This article has accompanying files

In the attached .zip file, I am going to describe how certain routines work, and even give you working source code on how you do it. The source code will assume that you have a VGA card that can handle the 320x200x256 mode. C++ and Pascal source has been included, so you now have a choice. By the end of the first "run" of sections, you will be able to code some cool demo stuff all by yourself. The info you need, I will provide to you, but it will be you who decides on the most spectacular way to use it. Enjoy!

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Advanced category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.